Virtual Museum of Art | Virtual Museum of History | Virtual Public Library | Virtual Science Center | Virtual Museum of Natural History | Virtual War Museum
   You are in: Museum of History >> Hall of North and South Americans >> Michael O'Connor





American’s Four United Republics: Discovery-Based Curriculum

For more information go to Historic.us

 

Appleton's Cyclopedia of American Biography, edited by James Grant Wilson, John Fiske and Stanley L. Klos. Six volumes, New York: D. Appleton and Company, 1887-1889 and 1999. Virtualology.com warns that these 19th Century biographies contain errors and bias. We rely on volunteers to edit the historic biographies on a continual basis. If you would like to edit this biography please submit a rewritten biography in text form . If acceptable, the new biography will be published above the 19th Century Appleton's Cyclopedia Biography citing the volunteer editor



Virtual American Biographies

Over 30,000 personalities with thousands of 19th Century illustrations, signatures, and exceptional life stories. Virtualology.com welcomes editing and additions to the biographies. To become this site's editor or a contributor Click Here or e-mail Virtualology here.



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

 





Click on an image to view full-sized

Michael O'Connor

Michael O'Connorl - A Stan Klos Biography

O'CONNOR, Michael, R. C. bishop, born near Cork, Ireland, 27 September, 1810; died in Woodstock, Maryland, 18 October, 1872. He received his preparatory education in Queenstown, was sent in 1824 to an ecclesiastical seminary in France, and finished his theological course in the College of the propaganda, Rome. He won his doctor's cap in a public disputation that was long remembered for its brilliancy, and Cardinal Wiseman, who was then in Rome, predicted a great career for him.

 

He was ordained priest on 1 June, 1833, and appointed professor of sacred scripture in the Irish College, of which he was subsequently vice-rector. In 1834 he returned to Ireland and was made pastor of Fermoy. He was invited by Bishop Kenrick to Philadelphia in 1839 and appointed professor in the ecclesiastical seminary of St. Charles Boromeo, of which he was made president soon afterward. While he discharged the duties of this office he attended the missions of Norristown and West Chester, Pennsylvania, and built the church of St. Francis Xavier in Fairmount.

 

In 1841 he was transferred to Pittsburg and made vicar-general of the western part of the diocese of Philadelphia. He established schools and reading-rooms, organized the Catholic institute in the parish of St. Paul, of which he was pastor, and built several churches.

 

He had long desired to become a member of the Society of Jesus, but as a student of the Propaganda he could not take such a step without the consent of the pope. He set out for Rome in 1843 to get the required permission.

 

Meanwhile the diocese of Pittsburg had been created, his name had been sent forward, and when he knelt before Gregory XVI he was forbidden to rise until he consented to become bishop of the new see, the pope at the same time saying: "You shall be bishop first and Jesuit after." He was consecrated by Cardinal Fransoni on 15 August, went to Ireland, and returned to Pittsburg in December, bringing with him some candidates for the priesthood and Sisters of Mercy.

 

His diocese had a Roman Catholic population of 25,000 and fourteen priests with only two religious institutions. He held his first diocesan synod in 1844, and the same year opened a church for colored Roman Catholics, established a boys' academy and a seminary for young ladies under the care of the Sisters of Mercy, founded two temperance societies, began to publish the "Catholic," and founded St. Michael's Seminary for the education of candidates for the ministry.

 

In 1846 he made his first Episcopal visitation and introduced the order of St. Benedict for the first time into the United States. In 1852 he again visited Europe and persuaded a colony of Passionists to return with him, who opened their first house in the United States in Pittsburg. In 1853 he published a series of letters to the governor of Pennsylvania on the common-school system.

 

The same year the see of Pittsburg was divided and the diocese of Erie was formed from it. Bishop O'Connor was transferred to the new diocese at his own request, but on the petition of the clergy and people of Pittsburg he was sent back by the pope.

 

He went to Rome in 1854 to take part in defining the dogma of the Immaculate Conception, and it was said that certain alterations in the wording of the decree were due to his advice. In 1855 he finished the Pittsburg cathedral, which is the largest in the United States with two exceptions. Bishop O'Connor was very successful in financial investments. One piece of property that he bought at $16,000 was afterward assessed for $162,000.

 

In 1860 he was permitted to resign his see, the number of priests in which had then increased to eighty-six and the churches to seventy-seven, he entered a Jesuit monastery in Germany, and by a special, dispensation was allowed to take the usual vows in two years. He then returned to the United States and was appointed professor of theology in Woodstock College, Maryland.

 

He was afterward socius to the provincial of the Jesuits, and preached and lectured in most of the great cities throughout the United States. He took much interest in the colored people, and, owing to his exertions, St. Xavier's church was opened for them in Baltimore. He was an accomplished linguist.

 

--His brother, James O’Connor, R. C. bishop, born in Queenstown, Ireland, 10 September, 1823, emigrated to the United States in 1838 and entered the Seminary of St. Charles Borromeo, Philadelphia. He was sent to the Propaganda, Rome, to study philosophy and theology, and completed his course in 1845, when he was ordained priest.

 

He then returned to this country, and was assigned to missionary duty in the diocese of Pittsburg. He was made president of St. Michael's Seminary, Glenwood, in 1857, and this institution made such progress during his administration that he was obliged to build extensive additions in 1862.

 

He was transferred to the seminary at Overbrook in 1863, where, while acting as director, he filled the chairs of philosophy, moral theology, and ecclesiastical history, he made a tour of Europe, and on his return was appointed pastor of St. Dominic's Church at Holmesburg, Pennsylvania

 

He was nominated vicar-apostolic of Nebraska, and consecrated bishop of Dibona in parlibus infidelium on 20 August, 1876. He introduced the Jesuits and Franciscans into the vicariate, and opened Creighton College in 1879. In 1885 the vicariate was erected into a regular see. It contained in 1887 about eighty-seven priests, thirteen chapels, and various religious and educational institutions.

 

Edited Appletons Encyclopedia by John Looby, Copyright © 2001 StanKlos.comTM

O'CONNOR, Michael, R. C. bishop, born near Cork, Ireland, 27 September, 1810; died in Woodstock, Maryland, 18 October, 1872. He received his preparatory education in Queenstown, was sent in 1824 to an ecclesiastical seminary in France, and finished his theological course in the College of the propaganda, Rome. He won his doctor's cap in a public disputation that was long remembered for its brilliancy, and Cardinal Wiseman, who was then in Rome, predicted a great career for him. He was ordained priest on 1 June, 1833, and appointed professor of sacred scripture in the Irish college, of which he was subsequently vice-rector. In 1834 he returned to Ireland and was made pastor of Fermoy. He was invited by Bishop Kenrick to Philadelphia in 1839 and appointed professor in the ecclesiastical seminary of St. Charles Boromeo, of which he was made president soon afterward. While he discharged the duties of this office he attended the missions of Norristown and West Chester, Pennsylvania, and built the church of St. Francis Xavier in Fairmount. In 1841 he was transferred to Pittsburg and made vicar-general of the western part of the diocese of Philadelphia. He established schools and reading-rooms, organized the Catholic institute in the parish of St. Paul, of which he was pastor, and built several churches, he had long desired to become a member of the Society of Jesus, but as a student of the Propaganda he could not take such a step without the consent of the pope. He set out for Rome in 1843 to get the required permission. Meanwhile the diocese of Pittsburg had been created, his name had been sent forward, and when he knelt before Gregory XVI. he was forbidden to rise until he consented to become bishop of the new see, the pope at the same time saying: "You shall be bishop first and Jesuit after." He was consecrated by Cardinal Fransoni on 15 August, went to Ireland, and returned to Pittsburg in December, bringing with him some candidates for the priesthood and Sisters of Mercy. His diocese had a Roman Catholic population of 25,000 and fourteen priests with only two religious institutions. He held his first diocesan synod in 1844, and the same year opened a church for colored Roman Catholics, established a boys' academy and a seminary for young ladies under the care of the Sisters of Mercy, founded two temperance societies, began to publish the "Catholic," and founded St. Michael's seminary for the education of candidates for the ministry. In 1846 he made his first episcopal visitation and introduced the order of St. Benedict for the first time into the United States. In 1852 he again visited Europe and persuaded a colony of Passionists to return with him, who opened their first house in the United States in Pittsburg. In 1853 he published a series of letters to the governor of Pennsylvania on the common-school system. The same year the see of Pittsburg was divided and the diocese of Erie was formed from it. Bishop O'Connor was transferred to the new diocese at his own request, but on the petition of the clergy and people of Pittsburg he was sent back by the pope. He went to Rome in 1854 to take part in defining the dogma of the immaculate conception, and it was said that certain alterations in the wording of the decree were due to his advice. In 1855 he finished the Pittsburg cathedral, which is the largest in the United States with two exceptions. Bishop O'Connor was very successful in financial investments. One piece of property that he bought at $16,000 was afterward assessed for $162,000. In 1860 he was permitted to resign his see, the number of priests in which had then increased to eighty-six and the churches to seventy-seven, he entered a Jesuit monastery in Germany, and by a special, dispensation was allowed to take the usual vows in two years. He then returned to the United States and was appointed professor of theology in Woodstock college, Maryland. He was afterward socius to the provincial of the Jesuits, and preached and lectured in most of the great cities throughout the United States. He took much interest in the colored people, and, owing to his exertions, St. Xavier's church was opened for them in Baltimore. He was an accomplished linguist.--His brother, James, R. C. bishop, born in Queenstown, Ireland, 10 September, 1823, emigrated to the United States in 1838 and entered the Seminary of St. Charles Borromeo, Philadelphia. He was sent to the Propaganda, Rome, to study philosophy and theology, and completed his course in 1845, when he was ordained priest. He then returned to this country, and was assigned to missionary duty in the diocese of Pittsburg. He was made president of St. Michad's seminary, Glenwood, in 1857, and this institution made such progress during his administration that he was obliged to build extensive additions in 1862. He was transferred to the seminary at Over-brook in 1863, where, while acting as director, he filled the chairs of philosophy, moral theology, and ecclesiastical history, he made a tour of Europe, and on his return was appointed pastor of St. Dominic's church at Holmesburg, Pennsylvania He was nominated vicar-apostolic of Nebraska, and consecrated bishop of Dibona in parlibus infidelium on 20 August, 1876. He introduced the Jesuits and Franciscans into the vicariate, and opened Creighton college in 1879. In 1885 the vicariate was erected into a regular see. It contained in 1887 about eighty-seven priests, thirteen chapels, and various religious and educational institutions.

Edited Appletons Encyclopedia, Copyright © 2001 VirtualologyTM

Start your search on Michael O'Connor.


 

 


 


Unauthorized Site: This site and its contents are not affiliated, connected, associated with or authorized by the individual, family, friends, or trademarked entities utilizing any part or the subject's entire name. Any official or affiliated sites that are related to this subject will be hyper linked below upon submission and Evisum, Inc. review.

Copyright© 2000 by Evisum Inc.TM. All rights reserved.
Evisum Inc.TM Privacy Policy

Search:

About Us

 

 

Image Use

Please join us in our mission to incorporate America's Four United Republics discovery-based curriculum into the classroom of every primary and secondary school in the United States of America by July 2, 2026, the nation’s 250th birthday. , the United States of America: We The People Click Here

 

Childhood & Family

Click Here

 

Historic Documents

Articles of Association

Articles of Confederation 1775

Articles of Confederation

Article the First

Coin Act

Declaration of Independence

Declaration of Independence

Emancipation Proclamation

Gettysburg Address

Monroe Doctrine

Northwest Ordinance

No Taxation Without Representation

Thanksgiving Proclamations

Mayflower Compact

Treaty of Paris 1763

Treaty of Paris 1783

Treaty of Versailles

United Nations Charter

United States In Congress Assembled

US Bill of Rights

United States Constitution

US Continental Congress

US Constitution of 1777

US Constitution of 1787

Virginia Declaration of Rights

 

Historic Events

Battle of New Orleans

Battle of Yorktown

Cabinet Room

Civil Rights Movement

Federalist Papers

Fort Duquesne

Fort Necessity

Fort Pitt

French and Indian War

Jumonville Glen

Manhattan Project

Stamp Act Congress

Underground Railroad

US Hospitality

US Presidency

Vietnam War

War of 1812

West Virginia Statehood

Woman Suffrage

World War I

World War II

 

Is it Real?



Declaration of
Independence

Digital Authentication
Click Here

 

America’s Four Republics
The More or Less United States

 
Continental Congress
U.C. Presidents

Peyton Randolph

Henry Middleton

Peyton Randolph

John Hancock

  

Continental Congress
U.S. Presidents

John Hancock

Henry Laurens

John Jay

Samuel Huntington

  

Constitution of 1777
U.S. Presidents

Samuel Huntington

Samuel Johnston
Elected but declined the office

Thomas McKean

John Hanson

Elias Boudinot

Thomas Mifflin

Richard Henry Lee

John Hancock
[
Chairman David Ramsay]

Nathaniel Gorham

Arthur St. Clair

Cyrus Griffin

  

Constitution of 1787
U.S. Presidents

George Washington 

John Adams
Federalist Party


Thomas Jefferson
Republican* Party

James Madison 
Republican* Party

James Monroe
Republican* Party

John Quincy Adams
Republican* Party
Whig Party

Andrew Jackson
Republican* Party
Democratic Party


Martin Van Buren
Democratic Party

William H. Harrison
Whig Party

John Tyler
Whig Party

James K. Polk
Democratic Party

David Atchison**
Democratic Party

Zachary Taylor
Whig Party

Millard Fillmore
Whig Party

Franklin Pierce
Democratic Party

James Buchanan
Democratic Party


Abraham Lincoln 
Republican Party

Jefferson Davis***
Democratic Party

Andrew Johnson
Republican Party

Ulysses S. Grant 
Republican Party

Rutherford B. Hayes
Republican Party

James A. Garfield
Republican Party

Chester Arthur 
Republican Party

Grover Cleveland
Democratic Party

Benjamin Harrison
Republican Party

Grover Cleveland 
Democratic Party

William McKinley
Republican Party

Theodore Roosevelt
Republican Party

William H. Taft 
Republican Party

Woodrow Wilson
Democratic Party

Warren G. Harding 
Republican Party

Calvin Coolidge
Republican Party

Herbert C. Hoover
Republican Party

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Democratic Party

Harry S. Truman
Democratic Party

Dwight D. Eisenhower
Republican Party

John F. Kennedy
Democratic Party

Lyndon B. Johnson 
Democratic Party 

Richard M. Nixon 
Republican Party

Gerald R. Ford 
Republican Party

James Earl Carter, Jr. 
Democratic Party

Ronald Wilson Reagan 
Republican Party

George H. W. Bush
Republican Party 

William Jefferson Clinton
Democratic Party

George W. Bush 
Republican Party

Barack H. Obama
Democratic Party

Please Visit

Forgotten Founders
Norwich, CT

Annapolis Continental
Congress Society


U.S. Presidency
& Hospitality

© Stan Klos

 

 

 

 


Virtual Museum of Art | Virtual Museum of History | Virtual Public Library | Virtual Science Center | Virtual Museum of Natural History | Virtual War Museum